Planet of the Apes...

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Planet of the Apes...

Postby Rich » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:40 pm

Conan and I took a trip down to the cliffs on Digby Neck this weekend - for any body thinking about a session down these parts - I'd really recommend it - the cliffs are small and there aren't a whole lot of routes, but what's there is fun as hell. So, we climbed at Trout and Sandy Cove on Sat, found ourselves sore and lazy on Sunday so went for a walk and found a good concentration of boulders that I'm wondering if anybody has checked out before - Zig, Fred, Cara, etc.? the rock is solid, steep in many places, and has loads of features - actually maybe even too many - most problems in the area would be in the V0-V3 range. i haven't explored much around this coast but imagine there are many other pockets of boulders here and there. Anyway, here are some pics.

The place isn't font or anything but if you're in the area or feel like something different it's worth checking out. To get there drive to sandy Cove, take th right that goes through the community to the bay of Fundy (to Little Cove) - park at the end of this road by a fishing wharf and walk along the coast to the right - you can see a prominent point with the boulders on it after walking for about 2 min, its another 10-15 to get there.

-rich
Attachments
Rich on boulder.jpg
Rich on boulder.jpg (89.09 KiB) Viewed 5132 times
Conan and boulder.jpg
Conan and boulder.jpg (82.61 KiB) Viewed 5119 times
Looking towards Little Cove.jpg
Looking towards Little Cove.jpg (69.12 KiB) Viewed 5113 times
Rich

Re: Planet of the Apes...

Postby Fred » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:22 pm

cool! I didn't know about these but I'll definitely check them out on my next trip to Digby.

good find
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby martha » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:39 am

The whole coast is littered with stuff like that. On the other side of the 'neck' in Cullodon there are some tall basalt cliffs as well that would be fun for bouldering on when they aren't under water.

The climbing down the neck is a ton of fun and the rock is really friendly which is nice for a change from the NS Granite!
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby jeremy benjamin » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:20 pm

Just bumping this to the top for anyone else who is paying attention to the Sandy Cove post and getting stoked on a trip to Digby neck this year.
jeremy benjamin

Postby Fred » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:43 am

Note that the photo is taken looking West. The approach comes from the other side where the boat is. So in this photo they hiked passed the boulders, turned around, then took the photo. I say this because when I hit the beach the first time near the parking area I didn't know to go East or West. Go East. :)

Great little bouldering spot.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Eager » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:03 pm

That looks sweet.

Is that the same place Chris Richardson did the write up for on Todd's site?
Eager

Postby Rich » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:24 pm

Same place that Chris wrote about. Zig also checked out the area and wrote a little blurb at:

http://zigtv.blogspot.com/search?update ... -results=7

Rich
Rich

Return to Nova Scotia