Cedar Point Warning/ Shaved Bird

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Cedar Point Warning/ Shaved Bird

Postby cory » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:28 pm

1) The hanger for the crux bolt on Shaved Bird is badly bent. There isn't any evidence of hammering or impact from rockfall, and I can't imagine any other potential causes. You can still clip a smaller calibre 'biner to it. The hanger is likely weakened somewhat, and the potential for cross loading a 'biner is increased and probably the greater risk. My spare hangers are in storage somewhere, so maybe someone else can replace it sooner than me. Keep in mind it's a 5-piece bolt, rather than the standard 2-piece, so if you're not experienced with them stay patient and stay away, please.

2) The stick-clip stick is missing from the back wall.
cory

Re: Cedar Point Warning

Postby chossmonkey » Fri May 08, 2015 12:39 pm

I've seen hangers that have bent from many repeated falls. Not super common and it tends to happen over time, always on crux bolts.

It might not be a bad idea to have a drill and spare bolt when replacing the hanger in case things don't go smoothly. Probably pretty straight forward, but there can be complications depending on the condition of the actual bolt.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Return to New Brunswick