Looking to transition to outdoor climbing

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Looking to transition to outdoor climbing

Postby MacGregor55 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:04 pm

Hey everyone!

I'm based out of Miramichi, but have family in St. John so i'm looking into trying outdoor climbing in that area. I have never climbed outdoors, and have never lead climbed. Have been bouldering in Halifax for 2 years, and have done a bit of top-rope climbing in halifax/truro. Not sure what grade/difficulty I can climb though i'm sure things are gonna be much different outdoors.

I was entertaining starting at cedar point in St.John and was wondering if anyone would be interested in teaching a total beginner the basics of going out and climbing on real rock. I have some basic gear for rope climbing (harness/rope/grigri), but nothing specific to leading, unless top-roping is an option (comfortable with that).

Any information/advice from experienced climbers is welcome and appreciated!

Thanks,
Pat
MacGregor55

Re: Looking to transition to outdoor climbing

Postby cory » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:13 pm

The bulk of Cedar Point is not a good choice for beginners... it requires rappelling in order to access the climbs, you must climb out to get home, you must be able to belay a second from the top to get out, only 3 routes can be walked off from the top.

The Snowfence quarry, 100m downstream from the main faces (quarry, slab, back wall) has 3 routes that are top-rope friendly, and it is possible to gain access to/from the base of the climbs with a steep scramble along the slope 25m downstream.

Kingston or Bald Peak are fairly straightforward to navigate as a beginner.
cory

Postby Shawn B » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:36 am

Safety third!!!
Shawn B

Postby Shawn B » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:38 am

Brent will help you safely transition to climbing outdoors.
Safety third!!!
Shawn B

Return to New Brunswick