Precious 5.5

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Precious 5.5

Postby Dom » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:57 pm

This is the route with the opening in Gollum's cave. Anyways, I've never climbed it because I feared getting stuck. Has anyone my build (5'10, 170ish) ever climbed it? Do I risk needing a rescue up there?

It has 3 stars in the guidebook, and I feel it may be overrated. Is this the case?
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Re: Precious 5.5

Postby PeterA » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:00 pm

I've tried it a few times, couldn't get through. I was full-on sideways at one point :P I think cory found an alternate route through the cave via a different opening though

-PJ
PeterA

Postby Greg » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:14 pm

I climbed it a couple of years ago and was not a fan of it at all. IMO it deserves no stars. I exited in one piece but just barely. :D Almost got stuck a couple of times and yeah I think I was either sideways or upside down more than once. The rope and rack just got in the way - kinda silly to rope up for it really. Stacey followed and was equally unimpressed. I know you want to tick everything at CL Dom but my advice is DON'T DO IT!
Greg

Postby Dom » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:14 pm

Greg wrote:I climbed it a couple of years ago and was not a fan of it at all. IMO it deserves no stars. I exited in one piece but just barely.

I was there that day on the Roadrunner block on top of Reindeer land. I think I heard you and Stacey complain the whole time :lol: hahaha!

PeterA wrote:I've tried it a few times, couldn't get through.
Greg wrote:DON'T DO IT!

Duly noted :mrgreen:
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Postby coryhal » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:15 pm

ya the block has moved in over the years, and the original exit straight up is now impossible, you now have to move left, in, at the top. still a fun line and deff worth doing.
coryhal

Postby Fred » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:52 am

Precious is a great route. Definitely worth doing. The one described in the guidbook is definitely do-able with average build. It exits up a hole on the left (when looking in cave) and pops out just under the overhanging roadrunner block near Space Cadets.

Do it! You'll love it.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Return to New Brunswick