Weekend

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Weekend

Postby *Chris* » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:08 am

What a great weekend. Don't be fooled by a forecast high of +1. Find a nice sheltered wall that collects sun and mid March can be prime climbing. We spent most of our day yesterday at an almost deserted Cochrane lane and were treated to great conditions. Most everything was dry and warm in the L-Shape. Bring your helmets however as ice and rock are coming down like crazy. I belayed at the Astroboy/Waterwalk ledge and nearly got smoked. Also, I must report that the PF's are back hanging around the top of Astroboy.

So... how was your weekend?
*Chris*

Re: Weekend

Postby Dom » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:23 am

*Chris* wrote:What a great weekend. Don't be fooled by a forecast high of +1. Find a nice sheltered wall that collects sun and mid March can be prime climbing. We spent most of our day yesterday at an almost deserted Cochrane lane and were treated to great conditions. Most everything was dry and warm in the L-Shape. Bring your helmets however as ice and rock are coming down like crazy. I belayed at the Astroboy/Waterwalk ledge and nearly got smoked. Also, I must report that the PF's are back hanging around the top of Astroboy.

So... how was your weekend?

Didn't see you guys there, but we were also @ CL all weekend. Super warm climbing at Joe's on Saturday and also very comfortable climbing yesterday around Cheekbone corner area. Slept in the car and it was pretty cold at night though (-10)
As for the Peregrins, is it possible that there are 2 couples on the cliffs? I had heard that one couple needed a huge area.

Anyways I say this because they hung around us at Cheekbone ALL day yesterday. Ask Luc, at one point on Strata Factor direct he tought a jet fighter was flying just over him. Turns out it was 2 PF that sounded like an F-18. They seem to be nesting in the middle of the amphitheatre just to the left of Rockstar. Anyways, Joe could tell us more about it...

Also, what is the bolted face route directly to the right of the 2nd pitch of snot? 3 bolts on the nose of the other side of Weeping whisker. (If you haven't been up there don't try to picture it as my description is a bit ridiculous.)
It looks hard and intimidating!

p.p.s We did les petits phoques at 7h30 pm on Saturday night. Fun route but if you go down there rap with your climbing shoes. Not your rubber boots... :mrgreen:
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Postby Adam » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:51 am

Dom wrote:As for the Peregrins, is it possible that there are 2 couples on the cliffs? I had heard that one couple needed a huge area.

Please say it ain't so Joe!
Adam

Postby Joe » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:20 pm

It would be very unusual to have 2 pair of peregrines nesting in such a small area. I'll have to check them out soon. Hopefully you are seeing non-breeding chicks hanging around. The adults should chase them away once the hormones get cranked up. They'll establish their nesting territory by early April, so we'll know by then. I'll post news when I know what's going on.
Joe

Return to New Brunswick