Claim staked in Welsford

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Claim staked in Welsford

Postby STeveA » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:04 am

A Vancouver based company has staked a claim in Welsford to search for rare earth metals. The main cliff is part of the area staked, so we should keep our eyes open for any activity that might affect us.
You are, therefore I am. That is the question....
STeveA

Re: Claim staked in Welsford

Postby Dom » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:13 pm

http://www.cacheexploration.com/properties/welsford-project.html

Wow that is quite worrisome.

I'm trying to figure out what it is that they actually do to extract the rare-earth metals, but I have a lack of knowledge in that domain. Grosso Modo, are they going to blast the cliffs?

Geologists, Engineers or better yet Geological engineers please enlighten us, the mere mortal climbers.
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Postby Fred » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:16 pm

The map outline seems to suggest that the right part of Cochrane Lane cliffs could be in the area in question.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby gwa » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:01 pm

We've got the Peregrines protecting our cliff...literally. They are a listed species at risk - which means their habitat is protected. Joe could probably tell us more about their protection.
Graham
gwa

Postby Dom » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:17 pm

gwa wrote:We've got the Peregrines protecting our cliff...literally. They are a listed species at risk - which means their habitat is protected. Joe could probably tell us more about their protection.

Forgot about that! that's awesome.

I emailed the company to know what exactly is the procedure to extract these rare metals and here is what I got from them.

Dom wrote:Hello,

I'm writing to know what the developpment of rare earth metal consists of. As a rock climber living in New-Brunswick, I am worried this will affect the granite cliffs of Welsford New-Brunswick situated off Cochrane Lane. These cliffs have been used by outdoor enthusiasts since the 1970's and it would be a tragedy to see these altered by a foreign provincial company.

Thank you for responding,

Dominic Caron

Here is what I got:

Cache Exploration Inc. wrote:
Mr. Caron

We are not a foreign company.

The development of a property from exploration to production requires numerous years and often decades.

No development is ever done without environmental impact studies and required government approvals.

No development is ever done without the permission of the actual owner of the land.

I suspect that you are not the owner of the land that you are using and are using it at your own risk.

We do not trespass or alter land without the written consent of the owners.

Regards

Cache Exploration Inc.

In retrospect, perhaps my question was too vague or perhaps the man or woman who answered me should go into politics.
Dom

Postby motanb » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:38 pm

gulp... Falling!
Thomas

"When you get to the top.... Keep climbing"

~ JaphyRyder
motanb

Postby *Chris* » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:23 pm

Although I'm not a geologist I do work 2 floors above the NB Minerals branch and I'm familiar with the claims process. A good part of southern N.B. is currently staked for minerals claims... especially uranium. That's been the case since the price of the mineral jumped a few years ago. You might remember the huge ruckus in the media when people started hearing that bore holes would poison their well water with radon (a radioactive natural product of uranium decay). Anyway, my point is this: thousands of hectares are currently claimed in N.B. and there isn't anyone even dreaming of establishing a mine. As was mentioned... it would be years in the making, with an Environmental Impact Assessment process that would include public input.

Dom... hats off to you for writing in to the company but I'm personally not really worried half as much as I continue to be about rare birds. Besides... if it came down to it, mines can be worth hundreds of jobs and hundreds of millions of dollars. We wouldn't even be a blip on political radars.
*Chris*

Postby Stef » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:16 am

I was actually talking to one of their senior geologist this week about this. They cannot stake on base land, so Cochrane Lane is out-of-bounds, but Eagle Rock is staked. Not sure about Bald peak, but I'll make-up a map in the next few days and post it. They are aware of the climbing at Welsford and I made the point that we are a legitimate user-group in this area.

The Welsford Granites and enriched in Rare Earth Elements which are currently in high demand due to their in hybrid cars, electronics, high power magnets etc.. Right now 98% of the world REE's come from one mine in China, and China is currently scaling-back their exports to the rest of the world, so there is a push to find a domestic supply. REE's are almost always associated with slightly elevated Uranium and Thorium, but generally the levels are less than 200 ppm and really nothing to worry about. You will get more exposure to radiation by climbing every weekend than from any exploration activity.

~1 in 1000 (if you are lucky) exploration projects actually turns into a mine. The chances of this project progressing to any development is exceeding remote.

The process will be a initial round of soil sampling, some ground geophysics and prospecting. Target areas will be identified and drilled if warranted. Outside of any good drill results, the claims are usually allowed to lapse after a year or two. These are all low impact activities.

I suspect they won't go near our cliffs at all because the granite covers a huge area, the majority of which extends beyond the cliff. But if you do see a geologist or prospector poking around, just go up to them and have a polite chat. Point out where routes are and that hammering directly on the cliffs a faux-pas.

I'll continue to keep an eye on this, and update the climbing community on any developments that may affect the climbing community. If you see anything that concerns you, please contact me via PM. I know the people at Cache personally, and hopeful resolve any issues with quick phone call.

Cheers,

S.
Stef

Postby *Chris* » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:47 am

Thanks Stef.

p.s. N.B. has an online mineral claims system with up to date maps: http://nbeclaims.gnb.ca/nbeclaims/#
*Chris*

Postby Dom » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:46 am

*Chris* wrote:Thanks Stef.

Ditto.
Dom

Postby Fred » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:36 am

Nice work Stef!

I love how our community can cover all grounds... mining, biology, military, engineering... :)

We've got a great team.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Ian_the_Barbarian » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:04 pm

*Chris* wrote:Although I'm not a geologist I do work 2 floors above the NB Minerals branch and I'm familiar with the claims process. A good part of southern N.B. is currently staked for minerals claims... especially uranium. That's been the case since the price of the mineral jumped a few years ago. You might remember the huge ruckus in the media when people started hearing that bore holes would poison their well water with radon (a radioactive natural product of uranium decay). Anyway, my point is this: thousands of hectares are currently claimed in N.B. and there isn't anyone even dreaming of establishing a mine. As was mentioned... it would be years in the making, with an Environmental Impact Assessment process that would include public input.

Dom... hats off to you for writing in to the company but I'm personally not really worried half as much as I continue to be about rare birds. Besides... if it came down to it, mines can be worth hundreds of jobs and hundreds of millions of dollars. We wouldn't even be a blip on political radars.

Wow, have not posted on here forever. I heard about this through the grapevine.

I'll definitely echo Chris' assessment. I hear a lot of this stuff from my father, who is a P.Geo and works for DNR Geological Surveys at the branch in Sussex.

Worldwide, mining companies are buying up all the stake in rocks containing even the tiniest traces of mineralized rare earth metals. The minerals are (as the name suggests) rare, but are only profitable to mine at present in high concentrations. If the company is doing explorative drilling and outcrop sampling, they're just trying to figure out what the mineral concentrations are. Unless they hit serious paydirt (which is very, very unlikely) they will just sit on it and maintain the claim until demand rises (or supply dips) to the point where extracting from low-concentration deposits becomes profitable...which may be never. Kind of like the tar sands...50 years ago nobody would have dreamed of extracting dirty oil at high cost when they could just sip sweet crude out of the ground in the gulf of Mexico or middle east. It's only now with oil at a much higher price (due mainly to demand) that there is a business case for extracting tar sands oil.

Anyway, it will require time on the order of decades for the worldwide demand or supply to migrate to the point of rare-earth mineral extraction profitability and we'll all be in spaceships or nursing homes by then.

Combine that with peregrine falcon sentries, an army base, ornery landowners, heavy environmental regulation and a province that can't get its head out of its a$$ in terms of attracting outside investment...there is nothing to worry about.

Anyway, dad (Malcolm) might be able to provide some more info if anybody is interested to call. I'll ask him over Christmas.
le barbarien
Ian_the_Barbarian

Postby Nihoa » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:16 pm

i propose we burn a geologist at the stake to show these assholes in vancouver we arent to be messed with. i also propose the geologist we burn is not the one im engaged to.
Nihoa

Postby Ian_the_Barbarian » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:46 pm

You can burn my dad....I'm sure he'll be cool with it.
le barbarien
Ian_the_Barbarian

Return to New Brunswick