Stuck blue TCU on Cheekbone

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Stuck blue TCU on Cheekbone

Postby TG33 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:28 am

Folks I got a blue tcu stuck on Cheekbone Sunday, July 4th. I would love to get it back as we have been through some tough times over the last 12 years. If you found it and would return that is great.

Thanks,

Brent
TG33

Re: Stuck blue TCU on Cheekbone

Postby *Chris* » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:25 am

Brent, I worked on it for a bit last night. It's buried deep. You'll need a person with slim fingers and a nut tool. It will come out but I was running short of daylight so I didn't spend too long on it. I did clean an old biner from the fixed pin. Yours?
*Chris*

Postby TG33 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:44 am

not sure about the biner. I wonder if the block needs a bit of a pry to get the cam out I think it is a bit hollow.
TG33

Postby mick » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:35 am

That pink biner was on the pin when I went up Cheekbone on July 1, the first day it was open following the closure, so it's been there for a while. I figured it was part of the route so I left it there.
mick

Postby *Chris* » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:13 pm

I can't figure out:

1) why that pin was placed to begin with. It's too easy for the FA to need aid and there's way better gear with 12 inches in all directions.
2) why anybody would ever clip that pin today. It's sad looking. Again... bomber placements everywhere.
3) why that biner was left. Please god I hope nobody bailed off that pin :shock:
*Chris*

Postby TG33 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:03 pm

It is funny you should mention that pin. I think it was placed circa 1997. I recall some out of towners bashing and hammering up there one day. It is not as old as it looks, I don't think. They may have bailed from a station (which was later dismantled) or simply clipped that piton and down climbed to the tree and bailed.
TG33

Postby TG33 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:04 pm

I remember wondering why in the heck they had a hammer in welsford.
TG33

Postby Fred » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:00 pm

The only thing I can't quite figure out is why y'all are climbing that route. :mrgreen:
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby anderfo » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:53 am

Hey,
I think I forgot a bag of medical equipment (for my insulin pump) at the big boulder below the original start. If anyone would pass by, I would really appreciate if you could bring it to the sign-in box or (even better) to Fredericton.
It's a small blue bag with a destroyed zipper and inside it is a tape roll, batteries and some more important stuff that I need pretty soon. If I don't hear anything I'll probably have to go there tonight or tomorrow morning to search for it...
Anders, (506) 292-9340
A bunch of photos
My home crag is Hell (and, yes, I've seen Hell freezing over...)
anderfo

Postby anderfo » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:58 am

No worries, I just came home from drive to Welsford and a run up to Cheekbone Corner and I found Chris' rope (!) lying on the boulder :)
...then I found my little bag when I came home...

Conclusion: I forgot nothing - Chris forgot his rope :D
A bunch of photos
My home crag is Hell (and, yes, I've seen Hell freezing over...)
anderfo

Postby Adam » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:36 am

anderfo wrote:No worries, I just came home from drive to Welsford and a run up to Cheekbone Corner and I found Chris' rope (!) lying on the boulder :)
...then I found my little bag when I came home...

Conclusion: I forgot nothing - Chris forgot his rope :D

hahahahahhaha you guys smoke a big fatty when u were done or something? :P
Adam

Postby *Chris* » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:49 am

Nah... I knew all along I forgot my rope. I just had to think of a way to trick Anders into going to get it for me. Mission accomplished! :mrgreen:
*Chris*

Postby gwa » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:39 am

Hey Brent,

I climbed Cheekbone on Friday and got your blue TCU & locker. It wasn't too hard to get out with the help of a nut tool. I'll probably be out to Welsford again in the next couple weeks or I could try to get to the the gym in Fredericton. It looks like that TCU could tell a few stories.

That's funny about the pin I thought that it must have been there for a while. A rusty old pin definitely adds to the look and character of the route :)

Cheers,
Graham
gwa

Postby coryhal » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:20 pm

i can answer this riddle:

Joe and i went up there to retrieve leehammers cam back in may, the day the cliff was closed. Joe dident want him going up and disterbing the birds. I got him to lower me off that pin, which i gave a solid bounce test, we dident want to top out and further disturb the birds. the junk biener is mine, just keep it tho. As for the pin being there, the route is quite old no??
coryhal

Return to New Brunswick