Ice School This Weekend

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Ice School This Weekend

Postby UNB Rock & Ice Club » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:48 am

Hi Folks,

As many of you probably already know, the UNB Rock & Ice Club will be doing it's annual Ice School this upcoming weekend. Our tentative plan (if conditions hold up) is to be at Hayes Falls on Saturday and Mt. Misery on Sunday. We may go to the Quarry as a backup plan. We'll be a large group of top-ropers and we'd very much appreciate having the climbing community's cooperation this weekend. I hope it's not too much to suggest going somewhere else like Grand Falls, Parlee, the coast, or Waterfall Wall. If you've got any concerns please just PM this account. Thanks for the cooperation.

Chris Norfolk
Built By Climbers... For Climbers
UNB Rock & Ice Club

Re: Ice School This Weekend

Postby Stacey » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:30 pm

Thanks for the heads up Chris - I think it's great that you are giving us the heads up for Mt. Misery on Sunday...please be sure to post on the board here at CEC if your plans change so we can plan accordingly.

Thanks
Stacey
''When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.''
~John Muir
Stacey

Postby Matt Peck » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:05 pm

Got a nice little route in at Hayes falls for ice school today, just goes to show that even the established areas have something new if you're willing to be a bit creative.

Chai Latte M4 R 15m
FFA Matthew Peck and Jen Barth
15meters right of the pillar in the woods locate a verglassed sheet of rock. hook gently up to a snow covered ledge and move right to the exit. Hope your one 10 cm will work. Note: Karking yourself in front of students is bad form, so don't.
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Postby Charley » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:14 pm

Delicacy required.
-Wo xiang mei er, mei xin, bian shi tou-
Charley

Postby Stacey » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:03 pm

Nice work guys...where are the pics Peck :P
sorry- just teasing...I couldn't resist!!!
''When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.''
~John Muir
Stacey

Postby Charley » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:14 pm

I've got 'em on my camera, I'll sort them out soon. I would have had some good ones of the top out, except he decided to put a lonely piece of pro in, resulting in my hands being busy and unable to operate the camera... :wink:
-Wo xiang mei er, mei xin, bian shi tou-
Charley

Postby anderfo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:54 pm

Great weekend! Mt Misery was the perfect place for having the second day of Ice School. With 6 or 7 ropes set up after 20-30 minutes we could play around the whole day.
I don't have any photos from Hayes falls, but I took a few yesterday at Mt Misery. They are found here. Actually most of the photos were not taken by me but by other people borrowing my camera.

Conditions at Mt Misery: Still possible to climb plenty of lines, very soft ice (makes the climbing easy) and sometimes rotten/sun baked. Compared to the previous weekend, only about 50% of the ice is left. If you wanna climb there you should go now before it's gone...
A bunch of photos
My home crag is Hell (and, yes, I've seen Hell freezing over...)
anderfo

Postby *Chris* » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:22 pm

I've posted a few pictures from the weekend here.
*Chris*

Return to New Brunswick