Moncton Ice

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Moncton Ice

Postby Graham » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:03 am

I'm looking to top rope some ice around Moncton, of Dorchester and Hillsborough, any advice on which has a better setup?
Graham

Re: Moncton Ice

Postby Stacey » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:11 am

Graham I would say you should wait a week or so. The few small pillars that HAVE touched down will be ruin if someone climbs them, and knocks them out...check out the picture I put up of Hillsborough from Jan 2...

Though Rockport is a bit thicker and may be okay for TR'ing...

just my two cents :)

Stace
''When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.''
~John Muir
Stacey

Postby Andrew » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:26 pm

Graham,

It was great climbing with you, Briand and Danica today in Hampton. Thanks again for letting us jump on your rope :)
Andrew

Postby Pierre » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:23 pm

Graham wrote:I'm looking to top rope some ice around Moncton, of Dorchester and Hillsborough, any advice on which has a better setup?

Hey Graham,

You made the right choice by heading up to Hampton Marsh. We wasted a lot time walking on the beach to only be disappointed by the lack of ice at Cape Maringouin. We should of known better from our last week quest for ice when we saw very little ice worth talking about in Dorchester or Rock port.
Pierre

Postby max » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:36 pm

pierre..... you guys just have bad luck i guess... we had a good day in Dorchester and don't bash it to hard because when it is in it is great fun. I don't talk about the place for no reason. We got 3 35m pitch climbs in in Dorchester.

Dorchester is in thin conditions.
max

Postby Graham » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:36 am

Yeah it was a nice day out. Definitely still a lot of water coming off the top so hopefully we'll get some cold nights before this weekend.
Graham

Return to New Brunswick